Thursday, January 10, 2013

Snakes- nice snakes at that


We have a remnant population of Pine Woods snakes (Rhadinaea flavilata) around our house. It could be considered uplands habitat. I love these very docile snakes- they don't grow very big (10-12"), and are easy to handle. I say remnant, because there are no Pine woods anywhere near, and I know they are not common in our particular neighborhood. If you catch one, they will wrap around your fingers, but never bite. They are (to my eyes) quite lovely- a golden, amber color with big eyes.
Next on the list of nice snakes is a Ringneck snake (Diadophis punctatus). Found on a cold day curled up in a conch shell. I have caught and handled Ringneck snakes my whole life. They will initially musk you ( exude a somewhat bad smelling exudate, probably horrible if you are a dog but not so offensive to me) but they calm down quickly and twine around your fingers.
Both snakes are very benign, beneficent and eat bugs in my garden. They are helpful, useful and harm no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment