Sunday, July 29, 2012

Update on the last juvenile Barred owl-

This week I was able to confirm that the remaining young owl (I call it Frankie now- could be either gender) is alive and well. The week before, I saw Frankie and it had one eye closed. My heart sank- first, it's sibling injured and unable to fly, so off to the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary- then number 2 also injured. But, I saw it again this Thursday, and both eyes are open. Yay!

Friday, I was able to get just a couple of photographs, Frankie was being mobbed by almost every bird in the neighborhood- the third photograph shows it all ruffled up after getting a hit on the head from a Mockingbird. The birds I saw mobbing it were: Mockingbirds, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Florida Crows, Carolina Wrens, and all of the Woodpeckers- Red-bellied, Downy, Flicker and Pileated.

Checking me out-
Photobucket
Watching out for the army of attacking birds-
Photobucket
All fluffed up after getting pecked on the head by a Mockingbird-
Photobucket
It dropped a feather while grooming, so I scanned it on a red scarf. Itt is a demiplume, used for insulation.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting Frankie's feather. Walking this morning, I found an identical feather. Intuition suggested that it belonged to a barred owl, but I wasn't certain. Finding the photo of your feather was a treasure! Seeing Frankie even better.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete